What is a myth? By definition, it is something fictitious but widely accepted as a fact. Dicitionay.com defines a myth as “an unproved or false collective belief that is used to justify a social institution.”
When it comes to disabilities there are numerous myths, or false beliefs, that have been ingrained into humanity from the beginning of time.
How important is it to bring truth to the lies of the devil surrounding disability?
It is essential! There are very few things that are more important as you set the foundation for your disability ministry.
These myths stand as a barrier to meaningful inclusion if not addressed. Remember, you are in a spiritual battle. The enemy, the devil, would like nothing more than these lies about disability to continue to separate your disability community from an opportunity to belong to God’s family.
In John 8:31-32 Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.’”
The truth will remove the barriers that evil one has set in place keeping your disability community isolated.
We have uncovered 15 disability myths that need to be busted!
- People with intellectual and developmental disabilities get a free pass to heaven.
- People with intellectual and developmental disabilities cannot understand salvation.
- People born with disabilities are being punished by God because of sin.
- People are born with disabilities because creation is spinning out of control.
- People born with disabilities are the result of genetic mistakes and should be aborted as they will be a burden.
- People with disabilities are “less than” others who are able-bodied and neurotypical.
- I am so glad I am not disabled because I could never handle that.
- No one understands what it is like to be disabled.
- Jesus never commanded church leadership to do Disability Ministry.
- People with disabilities cannot be ministers of the Gospel.
- I could never help someone with a disability. Someone else more qualified will have to do that.
- Our church does not need to be intentional about including people with disabilities because the big church down the road is already known for doing that.
- Disability is a problem that needs to be solved.
- Everyone wants to be healed of their disability.
- Jesus healed every disability that he encountered.
It is imperative that these disability myths be busted! Failure to do so will leave your disability ministry on shaky ground. Set your volunteers and your congregation free by bringing truth to these myths.
Check out our new resource called Disability Myth Busters. This resource can be used as a foundational 101-level volunteer training resource, a disability awareness campaign, videos for your worship services, social media content, etc.
“People with intellectual and developmental disabilities get a free pass to heaven.”
“People born with disabilities are being punished by God because of sin.”
“Jesus never commanded church leadership to do Disability Ministry.”
Where to Purchase
Grab it today in the store:
It is Ryan’s passion to equip and empower churches, organizations, and individuals to reach their disability communities for Jesus. Ryan comes to Ability Ministry with 15+ years of ministry experience. He previously worked at First Christian Church in Canton, Ohio as their full-time Disability Pastor. He also worked as a Church Consultant for Key Ministry. Micah 6:8 and Proverbs 31:8 best describe Ryan’s commitment to life and ministry.