Which is easier: Starting a disability ministry or getting into an NBA All-Star event?
I recently attended an NBA All-Star event in Cleveland, OH. I was shocked at how difficult it was to gain entry into an event, and it got me wondering. What is easier? Starting a Disability Ministry or going to an NBA All-Star event. You decide!
NBA All-Star Event Entry Requirements
- Purchase tickets online
- Download two apps on mobile phone
- Create an account with email and password
- Scan and upload driver’s license
- Take and upload a selfie to do facial recognition on your driver’s license photo
- Scan and upload vaccine passport information
- If not vaccinated provide negative test 48 hours in advance
- If not vaccinated take a rapid test on-site
Starting a Disability Ministry
- Build a team
- Be welcoming to “all people” striving to be inclusive and accessible
- Get to know the families and individuals you already have
- Start to meet the needs of people you already have
- Simply treat others as you would want to be treated (Golden Rule)
- Go slow
- Expand into meeting the needs of your disability community
You decide. Which is easier?
If you ask me praying and being kind to others is much easier than all the hoops you have to jump through to get into an NBA All-Star event. Ultimately, if you have one person or one family affected by disability in your church you have a Disability Ministry. What you do intentionally with them determines how effective your Disability Ministry will be.
At the end of the day, if we value something highly enough the perceived obstacles that stand in our way will be nothing to us. We will knock down those obstacles without thinking twice to reach our desired destination.
Maybe the better question is what do you desire the most?
Equipping and empowering disability ministry for churches, families, and individuals affected by disabilities to become who God has created them to be.